Being laid off means going back to my roots of making do with what we have. This means making food stretch! You can make this with whatever veggies you have or whatever you find in the produce department on sale.
- 2 Green Zucchini 1lb @ $2.00
- 1 Yellow Squash 0.5lb @ $1.00
- 2 Medium Yellow Onions @ $0.35 each $0.70
- 1 Red Bell Pepper $1.00
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper $1.00
- 1 Bone-in Chicken Breast $1.72 (I used the bone to make a simple stock)
- 1 Can Black Beans $0.89
- 1 Can Fire Roasted Corn $1.25
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes $0.59
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Taco Cheese $0.50
- Taco Seasoning Packet $1.00
Total $11.65 for 6 servings
$1.94 per serving
Josh highly recommends topping this with crunched up corn chips and sour cream!
I also recommend waiting until you can find zucchini on sale, that was a big cost of this recipe. This recipe can easily be turned into a vegetarian one…just take out the chicken!
I wasn’t planning on posting this recipe so I didn’t take pictures through the process. But…I cut up all of the veggies, started with the peppers and onions in a large cast iron skillet. Sauteed them, added the cut up zucchinis and chicken. Seasoned everything. Then put the tomatoes, corn, and beans in. Topped it with a thin layer of shredded cheese and popped it in the oven at 350°F for 20 minutes.
It was so good!